Monday, December 15, 2008

Still here.

It has been a long time, but for those following my sailing Blogs its clear I have been busy.

I have been flying. Many sundays with the Bedlam Bay Barnstormers, our local park fly group, and also most months at Strathfield indoor evenings, where we have been going for what must be close to 25 years. I missed a few of the HStore Sutherland Saturday nights over the winter because Dad was not well enoug for the cold and its a long way from home for me alone. And last Saturday clashed with a christmas function.
But I have now been building again. The model in the photos is not a Mustang but an Australian Commonwealth Aircraft CA 15 Kangaroo. Built at the end of WW2 to flying prototype stage before cancellation, it obviously draws a lot from the best the allies had produced to date, but it is bigger and longer than a Mustang by quite a bit. Long ago scrapped, a few photos exist and the graphics for this one come from Derek Buckmaster's web site. His was a profile catapult glider and I scaled it down to 160mm span.
It flys on the Tanaka IR Rx with rudder and throttle via a Mini Aviator Tx. Weight is 3.5g with a 20mil battery. Durabatics with Derek's design printed via paint jet.

1 comment:

Alex Newman said...

CA-15 looks a bit like the Martin-Baker MB-5. Similar heritage, I guess ;).

Cheers,
Alex.