Monday, October 29, 2007

Had fun last week at Doonside fying some small outdoor models. Most fun with upgraded 15 year old Pitts and slightly newer Bonzo. Both flew originally with geared brushed motors and nicads, but now have been updated with some cheap outrunners, small rx, servos and controllers and good lipos. Performance boost is incredible with true Pitts type performance.
Pitts is 500mm and 280g, Bonzo is 550mm and 200g. All balsa and film covering.

On the indoor scene I have converted my Plantraco Tx from Mode 2 to mode 1 because like most Australians, I learnt to fly with elevator on the left stick. Did the mod for Don Costelloe too. (yes I checked with the factory first and made sure I did not mess anything up). Missed indoor night for October due to other committments, and November is always dubious because of exams in the school hall, so might be quiet on the indoor scene till december.

2 comments:

Mstfr said...

Can you give me more information about conversion of the Plantraco Transmitter
frome mode 2 to mode 1.

Thanks a lot.

Gianni

Unknown said...

Phil,

I used to fly at Macquarie during the late 80s (at the old field that is now the driving range) and early 90s and was an avid reader of your columns in Airborne. I think I still have one of your kits sitting in the cupboard (a thermal raiser) which is awaiting completion.

I am glad to see you are still in the hobby.

I have recently started to get back into flying after a 10+ year hiatus and really want to mod my plantraco gear (easy to lug around in the car and fly whenever I get the chance) so I can fly it mode 1.

Where did you chase down the info for this?

Can you please post some more information (or maybe a tutorial)?

cheers,

Geoff.