Wednesday, August 8, 2007

A bit of History




My father was an aeromodeller and engine builder so I grew up with models and modeling.


When he could afford it he went flying full size cesnas and modelling activity declined. Then we both dicovered sailing and that took over our lives.


When dad retired from sailing we both went modle flying again. He took on mostly gliders and Old Timers and I addopted electric flight.


In the 1980s electric was experimental, either cheap and nasty, build it you self or expensive and not very much better.


My time is now plit between sailing and modelling with more modelling in winter.


And I am mostly interested insmall models up to anout 200g.




Some of my small models are on the Working Pager Motor Powered Model thread of RC groups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&page=4&highlight=working+pager

Pager powered Bit RC foam racers:

I was trying to model all of the Thompson Trophy winners fromthe Golden Age of air racing. Not all of them are shown because there were a few which I never got to fly well.



I will add a few more pictures from time to time.

600mm Sopwith Pup with GWS geared motor

2 comments:

frank said...

(gotta leave a comment mate 'cos no one else has.)

first, a question - why? (why tiny planes?) - just because you can, i suppose

are the flight properties much different at that size? Reynolds nos or whatever is appropriate?

regards, frank from the canoes

Phil Stevenson said...

Yes like the mountain, because I have not done it before. I am not up to international pace though. Several people have planes down to a half gram.

But it is less expensive than big boats, takes up less space and you can fly them any time you can find a hall big enough for free. But it wastes a lot more time.

Model planes is an addiction just like sailing. I am inflicted with both.